MARKET BAR GROUP TIPS POLICY NOTICE
1st December 2022 Background
The Market Bar Group is required by law under the Payment of Wages Act 1991 as amended to distribute to our employees any tips or gratuities received by us by electronic means (the Tips Pool) and we are committed to our obligations under this referenced legislation and the associated SI 545 of 2022 Payment of Wages Act 1991 (Display of Notices) Regulations 2022
The Market Bar Group pays in excess of the Minimum Wage to all staff and has always done so; we also pay higher hourly rates to more experienced and higher performing staff, none of these payments are funded from the Tips Pool.
None of the Tips Pool is paid to Directors or Owners of the Market Bar Group; 100% of the Tips Pool, subject to taxation, is allocated as set out below.
The Detail – How Our Tip Pool Works
Our Table Policy: We add a discretionary 12.5% tip in addition to the table bill and the sum of all these discretionary tips is allocated to Staff based on our Tips Policy, which is regularly reviewed with staff representatives. We do not add a tip to the bar counter service.
A customer may not wish to pay the discretionary service charge for various reasons and simply has to ask the waiter (or a floor manager) to remove it from the credit card amount or if they are paying in cash, simply not pay it.
The above Table Policy is noted in all relevant places (on the website, reservation system, booking confirmation, menu, the restaurant wall and on the table bill). In particular, it is noted that the tip is discretionary.
The Staff Tips Pool operates as follows
• 100% of the discretionary tips are allocated to staff and their costs, in line with this policy
• Staff receive a tips report showing how the tips are allocated • All tips are discretionary and subject to performance review, and surplus tips go back into the Tips Pool
• Waiters and Supervisors are allocated up to 50% of the tips they receive on the tables they serve
• The balance of the Tips are divided by the total hours worked by all and paid to out on that basis
• Taxes are deducted as required
• There is a 15% hold back from the general Tips Pool to pay for costs that staff incur such as food on breaks, uniforms and social activities, with any surplus being paid out as prizes or vouchers
• There is an appeals process for staff who are dissatisfied with the approach to tips.
If any customer has any comments on our tips Tips Policy, or any other matter, they should email the General Manager directly on email@example.com or talk to any of the floor supervisors on service.
Market Bar Management
14a Fade Street, Dublin 2
The Market Bar is the home of the first baby bottles. In 1889 Powers Whiskey bottled their ‘The Baby Powers’ here and exported them all over the world.